Cities with defunded police may not be receiving deliveries by truck according to a poll conducted by CDLLife.
As of June 13, 2020, CDLLife had more than 1,283 respondents on their app, with 79% saying they will refuse loads to cities with disbanded or defunded police departments.
The poll asked drivers, “Would you pick up/deliver to cities with defunded or disbanded police departments? Why or why not?”
Some of the answers were as follows:
- “…if something was to happen and you have to take matters into your own hands, and then you risk being prosecuted for protecting yourself.”
- “This is not an area you need to act fearless and think you you’d look like a fool for saying no…Imagine what kind of fool you look like for driving into a hot spot and putting your life in danger.”
- “I will not deliver to an area with a disbanded police department. My life matter and I do this for my family. We are already at the mercy of these towns and cities with laws and hate against us for parking, getting a meal or even using a restroom.”
- “Simple. We may not like it all the time, but laws and order is necessary.”
- “For my own safety and security of my customers’ loads, I have already informed my dispatcher that I will refuse all loads to cities that have defunded their police departments.”
The Minneapolis City Council reportedly plans to disband the city’s police department entirely and other cities are planning similar options. New York and Los Angeles said they will reduce the police budget and deploy other resources such as social and youth programs.